Extended permit on the basis of employment
A residence permit on the basis of work is usually granted for the duration of the applicant’s employment relationship, but for a maximum of four years. If your work continues but your residence permit is going to expire, you should apply for an extended permit.
You must apply for an extended permit also in the following situations:
- You change jobs while your residence permit is still valid. Your new job is in a different field of work than the previous job that served as the grounds for your previous residence permit.
- You have received another job in addition to your first job that served as the grounds for your residence permit, and your residence permit is still valid.
Apply using the same form you used to apply for a first permit.
If you apply for an extended permit on the basis of your new job, it is possible that you need to use a different application form than before. If you are not sure what application form you should use, use the Application Finder to find out.
Right to work while an application for an extended permit is being processed:
- If your new job is in a different field of work, you are usually not allowed to continue working while your application is being processed.
- If your employer does not change, you may continue working as usual, as long as you have applied for an extended permit in good time.
- If you only apply for an extended permit after your residence permit has expired, you are not allowed to continue working.
- Read more about the right to work while an application for an extended permit is being processed.
Note that you cannot get an extended permit on the basis of working as an au pair, an internship, an internal transfer within a company or a Working Holiday. You may however apply for an extended permit if you have some other reason for staying in Finland.
Application process when you are applying for an extended permit on the basis of employment
- Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
- Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
- Color copies of the passport page containing personal data and all pages that contain notes