Skip to Content

Residence permit application for studies

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are moving to Finland to study and you have been accepted as a student at an educational institution. The studies must lead to a degree or vocational qualification. Applicable educational institutions include universities and universities of applied sciences, vocational education institutions and, in the case of exchange students, any of the above and upper secondary schools.

  • Expected processing time

    First permit 1 month / extended permit 2 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 300 € / extended permit 150 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 360 € / extended permit 150 €

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must meet the following requirements:

Right to work

If you get a residence permit, you may work without restrictions if your work is related to your degree. This means practical training and thesis work.

Your right to do other kinds of work is restricted.

  • You may only work for an average of 25 hours per week during the academic terms.
    • The number of working hours is not restricted on a weekly level. This means that you can adjust your weekly working hours to suit your situation during the academic year, as long as you do not work for more than 25 hours a week on average.
  • You can work without restrictions at the times when your educational institution offers no instruction, that is, during summer and Christmas holidays.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • Certificate of acceptance/attendance from your educational institution in Finland
  • Clarification of income
  • Health insurance
  • Documentation of paid tuition fee or documentation of scholarship
  • Transcript of records (obligatory if you apply for an extended permit)
  • Earlier degree certificates (not required of degree students and exchange students)
  • Potential certificates of employment (not required of degree students and exchange students)

Residence permit application for studies, OLE_OPI

Fill in an electronic application