The employer has an obligation to verify
An employer must verify that a foreign employee has the required residence permit for an employed person or that the employee does not need a residence permit.
- The residence permit shows what kind of work the employer may do and how many hours a week he or she may work.
- If an employer employs a foreigner who does not have a right to work, the employer may commit an offence or a crime.
The employer must also verify that the foreign employee has the right of residence in Finland.
- The employer can ask the employee to show his/her valid residence permit card or residence permit sticker in a travel document.
- An asylum seeker has a right to work in Finland without a residence permit after three or six months has passed from the date he or she submitted his or her asylum application.The asylum seeker's employer can call us to check if the asylum seeker has the right to work in gainful employment. You can find the service number for employers on the page Telephone service.
- If the employer employs a person who is residing in Finland illegally, the employer will be liable to an administrative fine ranging from 1,000 to 30,000 euros. The amount to be paid will be determined by the Finnish Immigration Service.
Instructions for employers can be found on the website of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration in Finland.