The fact-finding mission to Afghanistan focused on gathering information from Kabul
Researchers from the Finnish Immigration Service’s Country Information Service visited Kabul, Afghanistan, on a fact-finding mission. During the mission, the general conditions in the city were investigated, especially regarding Afghan citizens returning or being returned from Europe.
The researchers met with national and international organisations, non-governmental organisations, authorities and other researchers, among others. The Finnish Embassy in Kabul assisted in the arrangements for the fact-finding mission.
The previous fact-finding mission to Afghanistan was conducted in 2018. The Country Information Service is tasked with generating country of origin information (COI), especially on countries that send asylum seekers, quota refugees and other immigrants to Finland. This information is utilised, for example, in the decision-making regarding asylum.
The next fact-finding mission is to be conducted to Syria
More fact-finding missions are planned this year at least to Syria, Somalia and Russia. In the beginning of the year, the researchers visited Iraq.
The fact-finding missions are part of the FAKTA project, which has received funding from the EU’s Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF). The Finnish Immigration Service has carried out fact-finding missions in connection with the project regularly during 2017 and 2018.
A report on the fact-finding mission to Afghanistan will be published on the Internet site of the Finnish Immigration Service in July. A press release will then also be issued on the content and publication of the report.
Research-based information on the situation in countries for decision-making
- The Country Information Service collects country of origin information (COI), which is used to support decision-making in connection with applications for international protection in particular.
- In addition to the fact-finding missions, many other methods are used to find information on the situation in the countries. Other sources include the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), research institutions, and the country information services of other countries.
- Up-to-date country information is always used in the decision-making conducted by the Finnish Immigration Service. The researchers from the Country Information Service do not participate in decision-making.
Further information for the media
- General information on the FAKTA project: Project Manager Satu Ruotsalainen, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 (0)295 430 431
- Details regarding country information on Afghanistan: Researcher Esa Ojala, email: email@example.com, tel. +358 (0)295 430 431