Students must have insurance

As a student, you must personally cover the costs if you become ill in Finland. In order to get a residence permit, you must take out private insurance that will cover your medical and drug expenses. The insurance you need depends on the duration of your studies in Finland. If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you do not need to take out insurance.

Attach a certificate of insurance or a copy of your European Health Insurance Card to your application.

What kind of insurance do I need?

All insurance must meet the following requirements:

  • The insurance excess may not be more than EUR 300.
  • If you stay in Finland for less than year, your insurance must be valid throughout your entire stay in Finland.
  • If your studies in Finland take longer than a year, your insurance must be valid without a break for at least one year. There cannot be any restrictions on the validity of your insurance. It must be valid throughout your entire stay in Finland. This means that the insurance cannot be a regular travel insurance that is only valid during trips that last a maximum of 90 days.
  • Your insurance must be valid when you arrive in Finland.

The required amount of insurance depends on the duration of your studies in Finland.

  • If your studies take less than two years (less than four semesters), your insurance must cover medical expenses up to EUR 120,000.

  • If your studies take at least two years (four semesters or more), your insurance must cover pharmaceutical expenses up to EUR 40,000.

In other words, the shorter your studies will take, the more extensive insurance coverage you will need. For example, an exchange student needs more comprehensive insurance than a degree student.

Where can I take out acceptable insurance?

When you are outside Finland, you can take out insurance from an insurance company in your home country. Alternatively, you may ask for suitable insurance from an international insurance company.

You can also look into insurance providers that offer international health insurance for students, for example the following companies:

We assess each insurance policy and its terms and conditions individually when we process residence permit applications. The insurance policy must include at least the following information:

  • your personal details
  • period of validity of insurance
  • geographical area in which your insurance is valid
  • insurance coverage
  • insured amounts
  • amount of excess, or a mention that there is no excess.

European Health Insurance Card

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you do not need to take out other insurance. By presenting the European Health Insurance Card, you can prove your right to necessary medical treatment in another EU or EEA country and in Switzerland.

Your card must be valid for the duration of your stay in Finland. Under EU legislation, you can access health care at the same cost and under the same conditions as people living permanently in Finland. With the card, you can get medical treatment if you become suddenly ill or have an accident. You can also get medical treatment if you have a chronic illness that requires medical attention. The card also gives access to necessary treatment during pregnancy and childbirth.

The European Health Insurance Card is recognised within the public health care services as well as by private doctors and hospitals that have signed a health insurance agreement. More information on the European Health Insurance Card can be found on the website of the website of the European Commission.