Blue Card applications for highly qualified third country nationals from start of 2012

Migri 20.12.2011 13.50
Press release

From 1 January 2012 Finland will adopt the EU’s so-called ‘Blue Card’ residence permit intended for persons arriving from third countries for the purposes of highly qualified employment.

Requirements include above-average salary

You will be entitled to an EU Blue Card if:

  • Your work demands a high level of competence and requires special qualifications or expertise.
  • You have a higher education degree.
  • Your employment relationship for work requiring special competence is for at least one year.
  • You are paid a gross salary of minimum EUR 4,832 per month. This is the salary threshold applicable in Finland in 2012 and reviewed annually.
  • The terms and conditions of your employment comply with existing regulations and collective agreements.
  • You fulfil the general requirements outlined in the Aliens Act for the granting of a residence permit. For example, you must have a valid travel document (such as a passport), and must not be the subject of an entry ban.

Up to now highly qualified persons have been able to apply for a residence permit through an accelerated application process. This procedure will continue alongside the Blue Card application process.

If you do not fulfil the application criteria for a Blue Card, you may apply for a residence permit as a specialist.

Apply for the Blue Card after 1 January 2012 before coming to Finland

You should apply to the Finnish embassy for the EU Blue Card before coming to Finland.

You may only apply for the card in Finland if you have already possessed for a minimum of 18 months a Blue Card issued by another EU Member State.

The card may be applied for after 1 January 2012 using form OLE_TY2. The following should be appended:

  • Employment agreement or binding job offer containing your agreed tasks and salary.
  • Evidence that you have completed a higher education degree. This may be in the form of a diploma, certificate or other official document demonstrating formal qualification and showing, for example, that the qualification involved a minimum of three years’ study. The party issuing the document must be competent, in other words entitled to do so under the laws of the issuing country.
  • If you are applying for the Blue Card in Finland, present a written explanation concerning the EU Blue Card issued to you by the other EU Member State and confirming that you have resided in that country for a minimum of 18 months on account of your work. In addition, present a statement that you have not resided in Finland for more than one month before submitting your application.

Card granted for maximum two years at a time

The first application will be processed by the Finnish Immigration Service. A decision on granting the Blue Card will be made within 90 days after submission of the application, provided that the application is completed correctly and the necessary appendices are enclosed. The Blue Card will be granted for a maximum of two years at a time.

Once you have been granted an EU Blue Card your family will also be able to apply for a Finnish residence permit. Your family members’ residence permit will be valid for the same duration as the Blue Card. All of you will have the same entitlement to social support and health care as EU citizens.

More information and instructions on our website

The Blue Card will be introduced from 1 January 2012. More information and instructions will able from that date on our website under ‘Working’.


Customer bulletin