Handling matters during the coronavirus epidemic
On this page, you will find updated instructions on how the coronavirus outbreak affects visits to service points and Finnish missions. For instructions about applying, see the pages migri.fi/you-are-in-finland and migri.fi/you-are-not-in-finland. Answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the page migri.fi/en/faq-coronavirus.
- You have booked an appointment at a service point in Finland
- You cannot currently visit Finnish missions abroad
If your matter is not urgent, you could consider waiting until the coronavirus epidemic is over.
Please use Enter Finland whenever possible. Normally, you would be required to visit a service point within three months of the date when you submitted your application. Due to the coronavirus situation, the time limit for proving your identity has been extended until 31 August 2021.
If you have booked an appointment at a service point, you can handle your matter as usual.
Things to remember before you visit a service point:
- Please use Enter Finland whenever possible. When you log in with online bank credentials and apply for an extended permit, you do not necessarily need to visit a service point to identify yourself. Read more about strong identification at migri.fi/identification.
- Do not bring any additional documents directly to the service point. Instead, use the online service Enter Finland or send your documents by email or by post. If you have booked an appointment to prove your identity, bring your attachments with you to the appointment.
- Come to the service point shortly before your appointment is due to begin. Show your appointment confirmation to the security guard.
- We recommend that you wear a face mask. You can bring your own mask. Unfortunately, we cannot hand out masks to all customers who visit our service points. Please read carefully the Recommendation and instructions on the use of face masks on THL’s website. When you are indoors in our service points, please wear a mask following the recommendations. In the waiting room, allow a sufficient safety distance (two metres) between yourself and other people in the room.
- Due to the coronavirus situation, we may have to limit the number of customers in the waiting areas. This means that you may have to wait for your turn longer than usual outside the service point premises when visiting a service point.
- If you have been abroad, you should check whether the quarantine recommendation applies to you. If you have visited a country that is subject to border control, it is recommended that you go out only if it is absolutely necessary. You can check whether the recommendation applies to you on the website of the Finnish institute for health and welfare at Travel and the coronavirus pandemic.
- Do not come to our service point if you have any flu symptoms at all. Remember to cancel your appointment if you cannot attend. Book a new appointment only when you are completely recovered.
- Are you in an at-risk group for the coronavirus? We recommend that you wait until the state of emergency is over before you visit a service point. You can get your application pending in Enter Finland.
- Our appointment system is open as usual. Avoid booking appointments at other service points than the one closest to you, even if there are available appointments at other service points.
- If you cannot attend an appointment at our service point, remember to cancel your appointment in the appointment system. An unattended appointment that has not been cancelled will cost you 50 euros.
Thank you for following these instructions and for helping us protect our customers and employees from potential infections!
You are coming to a service point to handle your matter with a waiting number
If your matter is urgent, you can visit a service point and take a waiting number. The waiting numbers are only intended for submitting applications. You cannot visit a service point if you are ill.
Follow the updates on the situation concerning the missions at the websites um.fi and finlandabroad.fi
You should normally visit a Finnish mission to identify yourself within three months of the date on which you submit your application via Enter Finland. If you are applying abroad and have not been able to visit your local Finnish mission to identify yourself, you now have until 31 August 2021 to do so.
Please book an appointment to identify yourself as soon as the Ministry for Foreign Affairs lifts the restrictions.
For the time being, the Finnish missions cannot hand over residence permit cards as usual. If you have questions about your card delivery, contact the mission where you have handled your matter. For information about the situation with your mission, see the website finlandabroad.fi.
Keep checking the Ministry for Foreign Affairs’ and the Finnish Immigration Service’s bulletins for updates.