What counts as seasonal work?
Seasonal work is work in agriculture and tourism that is tied to a certain time of the year. Seasonal work requires a significant increase in labour levels during a certain time of the year compared to the ongoing work performed outside that time period.
The maximum length of seasonal work is 9 months during a period of 12 months.
The branches of agriculture involving seasonal work are defined in the government decree 966/2017 in accordance with the Standard Industrial Classification 2008 (stat.fi):
- A 01 Crop and animal production and related service activities, excluding A 017 Hunting, trapping and related service activities
- A 02100 Silviculture and other forestry activities
The branches of tourism involving seasonal work are defined in the government decree 966/2017 in accordance with the Standard Industrial Classification 2008 (stat.fi):
- H 50102 Coastal passenger water transport
- H 50300 Inland passenger water transport
- I Accommodation and food service activities
- N 79120 Tour operator activities
- N 79900 Other reservation service and related activities
- R 90020 Support activities to performing arts
- R 93210 Activities of amusement parks and theme parks
- R 93291 Skiing centre activities
The tasks of a seasonal worker must fall under the above-mentioned branches. In addition, the nature of the work must be seasonal, and the work must be conducted in an employment relationship.
For more detailed definitions of the branches and the tasks they incorporate, see the Standard Industrial Classification 2008.
Examples of work that counts as seasonal work in accordance with the government decree mentioned above:
- picking of garden berries
- raising and care of dairy cattle
- raising and care of pigs
- employment at a fur farm
- work associated with forestry and silviculture
- gathering of cones for seed production
- work associated with accommodation or restaurants, provided that the company’s activities are seasonal
- work as a tourist guide or wilderness guide
- work as a ski instructor.
The following tasks are not counted as seasonal work under the government decree mentioned above:
- picking of forest berries
- gathering of cones for decoration purposes
- gathering of wild growing lichen and mushrooms
- building a new piggery
- repairing the roof of a cowshed
- renovating the living quarters of seasonal workers
- work associated with fishing and aquaculture
- construction of green areas and landscape management
- real estate maintenance
- maintenance of a golf course
- work associated with food industry.