You will automatically get an alien’s passport if
- you have been granted a Finnish residence permit on the basis of subsidiary protection; or
- you have been granted a residence permit on the basis of temporary protection but do not have a valid travel document.
An alien’s passport may also be issued to you at the discretion of the Finnish Immigration Service if
- you are unable to obtain a passport from the authorities in your home country;
- you are a stateless person;
- there are other special reasons why you need an alien’s passport, such as
- you need to travel to your home country to obtain a national passport; or
- you have not been able to obtain a national passport despite trying to do so;
- you have applied for a residence permit and fulfil the other requirements for getting a residence permit but your national passport has expired during the asylum process and you cannot, for justifiable reasons, get its period of validity extended without travelling to your home country or an embassy of your home country outside Finland.
Submit your application in person at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service
Submit your application for an alien’s passport in person at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service. Every applicant must submit an application of his/her own, regardless of his/her age. You cannot fill in the application form beforehand. Instead, an employee at the Finnish Immigration Service will print out a form for you, which you will then have to sign.
Bring with you:
- a passport photo
- a written explanation of why you are applying for an alien’s passport
- a certificate of identity
You have to pay a processing fee when you submit your application. If you have been issued an alien’s passport before, please attach it to your application, if possible. You must return your old alien’s passport to the Finnish Immigration Service before you can get your new alien’s passport.
An applicant under the age of 18 must have the consent of his or her guardians or legal representative.
Apply for a new passport three months before the old one expires
Remember to apply for a new alien’s passport while your current one is still valid. Apply for a new alien’s passport approximately three months before the expiration date of your current passport.
You have to book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service to submit your application. Some of the service points are very busy, and you may only be able to book an appointment for a much later date. That is why it is important to book an appointment well in advance.
If possible, attach your previous alien’s passport to your application. You have to return your old alien’s passport to the Finnish Immigration Service before you can get a new passport.
An alien’s passport is valid for a maximum of five years.
Service of the decision (notification)
When the Finnish Immigration Service has made a decision on your application, we will post the decision to the address you have given. We will send it as a registered letter or use an advice of delivery. If the decision is positive, you will receive your alien’s passport at the same time. The appeal period begins when you have been notified of the decision.
You will need to verify your identity at the post office. A list of identity documents accepted by post offices can be found on Posti’s website.
If you do not have an identity document accepted by post offices, you can give a written authorisation to a person who has an accepted identity document.
More information on written authorisations can be found on Posti’s website, where you can also fill in an authorisation.