Residence permit application for a start-up entrepreneur

Apply with this application for a residence permit if you intend to come to Finland as a start-up entrepreneur. You must obtain a positive Eligibility Statement from Business Finland before you can apply for this permit. A start-up entrepreneur cannot get a residence permit without a positive statement from Business Finland.

  • Expected processing time for an electronic application

    First permit 3–5 month / extended permit 2–4 months


  • Expected processing time for a paper application

    First permit 3–5 month / extended permit 2–4 months


  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 350 € / extended permit 260 €


  • Paper application fee

    First permit 480 € / extended permit 260 €


Start-up entrepreneur

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised. The processing time may be longer if you have not filled in your application sufficiently.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the online service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application here.


You should wait for the residence permit in the same country or locality where you submitted your application and proved your identity.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must also meet the following requirements:

Right to work

  • With a Finnish Startup Permit you can work for another employer without a separate residence permit for an employed person. The main purpose of your stay in the country must, however, be entrepreneurship.
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence-permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • Eligibility Statement from Business Finland (no more than two months old) (if you are applying for your first Finnish Startup Permit)
  • Statement on income (e.g. bank statement or statement on other assets that can be transferred to Finland)
  • The most recent financial statements and the latest updated accounts (income statement and balance sheet) from the beginning of the accounting period (if you are applying for an extended permit as a start-up entrepreneur)

Residence permit application for an entrepreneur, OLE_YRI

Fill in an electronic application

Extended permit for an entrepreneur, OLE_YRI

Fill in an electronic application