Representative of an unaccompanied minor asylum seeker
Finnish District Courts assign a representative to each asylum seeker who is younger than 18 and has arrived in Finland without a guardian. The representative’s task is to ensure that the child’s best interests are taken into account in different situations. The Finnish Immigration Service will pay the representative’s fee.
The representative uses the right of action that belongs to the guardian of a minor child, helps the child with official matters or takes care of the child’s matters on his or her behalf with the Finnish authorities. For example, the representative participates in the child’s asylum interview which is a part of the processing of his or her asylum application.
The representative is not responsible for the daily maintenance, upbringing or other care of the child. These matters are the responsibility of the reception centre.
Other instructions for representatives are available only in Finnish and Swedish
- Representing a child applying for asylum without a guardian (Finnish, Swedish)
- Instruction on fees and compensations for expenses for representatives of children without a guardian (Finnish, Swedish)
- Specification of a representative’s fees and compensations for expenses (Finnish, Swedish)
- Representative's form for specification of travelling expenses (Finnish, Swedish)
- Invoice of a representative’s fees and other expenses (Finnish, Swedish)
- Tietoa turvapaikkaprosessista: ilman huoltajaa olevat lapset (Finnish)