Skip to Content

Residence permit application for person applying EU Blue Card

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you want to apply the EU Blue Card. You must have a signed employment contract or a binding job offer and your work will last at least a year. Also you must have a higher education degree.

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 12 months / extended permit 12 months

  • Expected processing time for paper application

    First permit 1–2 months / extended permit 1–2 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 410 € / extended permit 260 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 610 € / extended permit 330 €

EU Blue Card

An EU Blue Card is issued for a maximum period of two years at a time.

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised. The processing time may be longer if you have not filled in your application sufficiently.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the online service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application here. You can follow the processing of your application with the help of our chatbot Kamu. Kamu can check the status of your application among all other applications with the same type of matter and processing grounds. For more information, see the page


You should wait for the residence permit in the same country or locality where you submitted your application and proved your identity.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must also meet the following requirements:

Right to work

  • You have a right to work in employment that requires high-level competence. Your permit is not bound to a certain employer.
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.
  • An EU Blue Card issued by Finland gives you the right to work only in Finland

Residence in a second EU Member State as a holder of an EU Blue Card

If you have been granted an EU Blue Card by Finland, you can move to a second EU Member State. If this second Member State does not grant you an EU Blue Card, you can return to Finland. You may stay in Finland for three months even if your Finnish EU Blue Card has expired. If Finland has granted your family member a residence permit, he or she may move with you to a second EU Member State and return to Finland with you.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • Employment contract or a binding job offer, stating your duties and salary.
  • Evidence that you have completed a higher education degree (diploma, certificate or other document, issued by a competent authority, demonstrating formal qualifications and showing that you have completed a (module-based) degree programme after upper secondary level in an educational institution recognised in that country as an institution of higher education and that the degree involved a minimum of three (3) years of study).


Residence permit application for persons employed as a specialist, OLE_TY2

Fill in an electronic application

Extended permit for a person employed as a special expert, OLE_TY2

Fill in an electronic application