Interpretation, translation and legalisation

If a residence permit application has attachments written in a language other than Finnish, Swedish or English, the applicant must have them translated by an authorised translator. The applicant must pay the translator’s fee.

If the attachment is a document that concerns your family ties – for example a marriage certificate or a birth certificate – and you have received it from other than Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or Icelandic authorities, you must have it legalised. If your documents need to be legalised, this will be mentioned in the list of attachments at the end of the application form. Also Estonian population register documents issued in English do not need to be legalised.

When an asylum seeker presents documents or other evidence to support his or her application, he or she does not need to have them translated or legalised.

More information

Asylum seekers’ right to interpretation

An asylum seeker has the right to use an interpreter at the asylum interview. If an interpreter is needed, the Finnish Immigration Service will find one.

If an applicant who is not an asylum seeker needs a counsel or an interpreter in order to take care of his or her matter, he or she must personally arrange these services and pay for them.