Skip to Content
Temporary protection

Children who have fled Ukraine

When you are in Finland, tell a police or a border control official that you want to stay in Finland

  • The police or the border control official will help you. They will register your application in Finland.
  • We recommend that you apply for temporary protection in Finland.
  • Temporary protection is meant for people like you who have had to flee their home in Ukraine. You do not need to explain why you are applying for temporary protection.
  • You may also apply for asylum, if you want to. It is also possible to apply for asylum later.

You will get a place to stay and can go to school

  • If you came to Finland with your parent or guardian, you can both stay at a reception centre. You can also live with relatives or friends. In either case you will be registered as clients at a reception centre.
  • If you came to Finland without a parent or guardian, you will stay in a group home. Even other children whose parents or guardians are not in Finland will live there. There are always employees who you can talk to and who can help you. If you have relatives in Finland, the reception centre will assess whether you can live with them, if you want to.
  • If you are 6 to 17 years old, you can go to school in Finland.

If you are in Finland without a parent or guardian, you will get a 

  • A representative is an adult who handles your matters. A district court appoints the representative. The representative helps you and handles your matters with authorities on your behalf.
  • The Finnish Immigration Service and your representative will try to find out if you have contact with your parent or guardian, or if the Finnish Immigration Service can help you to contact him or her.
  • If something is worrying you or somebody is treating you badly, tell an employee at the reception centre or group home about it immediately. You can also always talk to the police.
  • The employees at your reception centre and group home will tell you more about your rights and the services we can provide you in Finland. You can always ask them about these things.