Residence permit card
If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. You will get a residence permit card in about 4 weeks after a positive decision.
If you submitted your application in Finland, the card will be sent to you as a letter to a Finnish address. It is not possible to collect the card from a service point. If you submitted your application abroad, you will get the card through a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). Note! If you have not received your residence permit card within six weeks of the making of the decision, notify us by sending a description of the situation by email to the address [email protected].
The chip of the residence permit card contains biometric identifiers, for example a facial image and two fingerprints. To ensure data security, the card has to be renewed every five years.
The period of validity of your residence permit is printed on the residence permit card. If your permit expires, you cannot apply for an extension by applying for a new residence permit card. You need to apply for an extended permit instead.
If you have a permanent residence permit and your card is about to expire, you do not need to apply for a new permanent residence permit. You only need to apply for a new card. A permanent residence permit card must be renewed every five years.
Contents of a residence permit card
1. The period of validity of the residence permit is printed on the card. If the residence permit is permanent, the card bears the words PYSYVÄ/PERMANENT.
2. Permit type, or the grounds for issuing the permit:
- A = continuous residence permit
- B = temporary residence permit
- P = permanent residence permit
- P-EU or P-EY = a long-term resident’s EU residence permit issued to a third-country national
3. The section of the Aliens Act printed on the card reveals the extent of the card holder’s right to work. TTOL means a residence permit for an employed person. This is followed by a list of industries where the permit holder may work.
4. Finnish Immigration Service customer number.
5. The date before which the card must be renewed.