Skip to Content

Visiting Finland (Visa)

If you wish to visit Finland, for example as a tourist, or stay with relatives or friends, or make a business or conference trip, you will generally need a visa. A visa is a permit to enter the country for a short-term or temporary period of residence lasting no more than 90 days. If you intend to reside in Finland for other purposes, you have to apply for a residence permit.

You will not need a visa if you are a citizen of a Nordic country or an EU Member State. Similarly, no visa is required if you are a citizen of a visa-free country and you have a valid passport or a comparable travel document.

Do you have questions about travelling? Please see the frequently asked questions and the instructions on the website of the Finnish Border Guard.

The Ministry for Foreign Affairs is responsible for visas

You may apply for a visa outside Finland from a Finnish embassy operating under the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland. Finnish embassies also make decisions on the granting of visas.

Information on visa application, period of validity and visa fees can be found on the website of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.

Working in Finland

You may also need a residence permit for short-term (less than 90 days) work in Finland. In certain cases, you are allowed to work without a residence permit.

If your seasonal work is going to last for less than three months and you need a visa to come to Finland, apply for a seasonal work visa at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate).