Registering an EU citizen's right of residence

About Brexit

Brexit-related instructions and customer bulletins will be published on this page. We will publish further instructions and more information about applying for residence permits as soon as a decision about Brexit is made.

Special act to protect UK citizens’ right of residence after Brexit

Under a special act, those British citizens who are currently living in Finland and who have registered their right of residence as EU citizens can continue to stay and live in Finland without any separate measures for a fixed time period specified in the act.

British citizen: register your right of residence as soon as possible

If you have not yet registered your right of residence:

  • Register your right of residence as soon as possible. The easiest way to do this is to fill in an application in the e-service Enter Finland. After this, you must book an appointment at one of the service points of the Finnish Immigration Service to prove your identity and to show the originals of the documents that you have attached to your application.
  • If you have resided legally in Finland for an uninterrupted period of five years, apply for a certificate of the right of permanent residence of an EU citizen at the Finnish Immigration Service.

Are you a citizen of some other EU or EEA country?

In this case, we recommend that you register again on the basis of this other citizenship, even if you already have registered your right of residence on the basis of your British citizenship.

Please note: You do not have to file a new registration application to register your citizenship of another EU or EEA state Please make sure that your municipality of residence is correctly entered in the Population Information System.

If you already have registered your right of residence, you do not need to contact the Finnish Immigration Service

Your registration is still valid. You do not need to renew it.

If you are not sure about whether you have registered your right of residence or not:

  • Call the Finnish Immigration Service's customer service number at 0295 419600 (Mon–Fri 9–16); or
  • Send an email to [email protected]. State your name, date of birth and your citizenship in your message. State also your customer number, if you have one. Please do not send any enquiries to personal email addresses.

If you have lost your old registration certificate, you do not need a new one

The Finnish Immigration Service does not require you to have your old registration certificate at hand. However, some other authorities may in some cases need a certificate stating that you have registered your right of residence in Finland.

If you need a certificate of your right of residence:

  • The Finnish Immigration Service has been responsible for the registrations since 1 January 2017. If the Finnish Immigration Service has registered your right of residence, you can request a new certificate by sending an email to [email protected].
  • Before 1 January 2017, the police have been responsible for the registration of right of residence. If the police have registered your right of residence, you can either contact the police or submit a certificate request, which is subject to a fee, to the Finnish Immigration Service.

Read more: