Skip to Content

Residence permit application for work in the field of culture or arts

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are going to work professionally in the field of culture or the arts. You must have confirmed employment before you can apply for the permit.

To be considered a professional in the field of culture or the arts, you need to have relevant previous work experience or education, for example. Your employer must verify that you have the professional skills required for the job.

If your employer has obtained employer certification, you can apply for a D visa at the same time as you apply for a residence permit. The D visa allows you to travel to Finland immediately after you have been issued with a residence permit and a D visa sticker has been attached to your passport. Read more about the D visa.

Your spouse and children can apply for a D visa if they are applying for a residence permit on the basis of family ties. Read more on the page Moving to Finland to be with a family member

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 1–2 months / extended permit 2 months

  • Expected processing time for paper application

    First permit 2 months / extended permit 2 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit  380 € / extended permit 170 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 480 € / extended permit 430 €

This is what you should do


Fill in the application:

Right to work

  • Your right to work gives you the right to perform the work for which you have been granted a residence permit.
  • You have the right to work as a professional within the field of the arts already before the residence permit is granted if: 
    • you are in Finland when you apply for the residence permit;
    • you are a professional artist; and
    • your visa is valid or you are allowed to stay in Finland without a visa.
    • Your right to work before being issued with a residence permit ends after three months, or even earlier if your visa expires. 
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check whether you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

Prepare for your life in Finland