Skip to Content

Mobility notification to Finland

You can only submit a mobility notification if you are a student at a higher education institution.

If you have a valid residence permit for studies issued by another EU Member State and if your studies are covered by a Union or multilateral programme that comprises mobility measures or by an agreement between two or more higher education institutions, you have the right to carry out part of your studies in Finland. With a mobility notification, you can study in Finland for a period up to 360 days.

If your studies are not covered by a programme or an agreement mentioned above or if you want to study in Finland for more than 360 days, you must apply for a residence permit in Finland.

Please be sure to include all the attachments required for your mobility notification. The Finnish Immigration Service will not send you a request asking for missing attachments.

  • Expected processing time for mobility notifications

    1 month

  • Processing fee

    100 €


This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for mobility.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated.


Fill in the notification form.


Pay the processing fee. Follow the payment instructions given in the mobility notification form. Attach a copy of the payment receipt to your notification.


Send the notification form to the Finnish Immigration Service by post or email.

When should the mobility notification be submitted?

If you intend to carry out part of your studies in Finland, you must submit a mobility notification to the Finnish Immigration Service. If you are going to apply for a residence permit in another EU Member State (the first Member State) knowing that you will be completing part of your studies in Finland, you must submit a mobility notification at the time when you apply for a residence permit before you arrive in the first Member State. Otherwise you must submit your mobility notification as soon as the intended mobility to Finland is known.

What details should be provided in the notification?

Your mobility notification must include the following information and documents:

  • a copy of a valid passport and of the permit issued for studies by the first Member State that is valid during the entire mobility period
  • the planned duration and dates of the mobility, if they are not specified in the agreement or in other documents
  • evidence that you have enough money to cover your living costs in Finland during the mobility period, for example bank statements for the past three months. You must have EUR 560 per month at your disposal
  • evidence that the processing fee for the mobility notification (EUR 100) has been paid
  • evidence of the programme covering your studies in Finland. These include 
    • Union and multilateral programmes  
      • Union programmes and multilateral programmes mean programmes funded by the European Union or by EU Member States that promote mobility of third-country nationals in the Union or in the Member States participating in the respective programmes.
    • agreements between two or more higher education institutions.
  • evidence that you have been accepted to study at a higher education institution in Finland
  • evidence that you have paid the tuition fees charged by the higher education institution. As an exchange student you do not need to pay tuition fees if your studies are covered by an exchange programme or an agreement. For more information about tuition fees, see the website Studyinfo ( or contact your educational institution.
  • documentation of insurance. Your insurance must cover medical expenses up to EUR 120,000.

Your notification will be subject to a processing fee, as laid down in the government decree on fees. Pay the processing fee in advance to the account of the Finnish Immigration Service: Danske Bank FI59 8129 9710 0117 35 or Nordea FI86 1804 3000 0154 04. If you pay the fee abroad, give the following details in your payment: Danske Bank, BIC: DABAFIHH ja IBAN: FI59 8129 9710 0117 35 tai Nordea, BIC: NDEAFIHH ja IBAN: FI86 1804 3000 0154 04. Write your name and the reference "liikkumisoikeus ja TK1_EU" in the message field. Submit your mobility notification together with proof of having paid the processing fee.

Certificate of right of residence

If the Finnish Immigration Service does not object to your mobility period, you will receive a certificate of your right to stay in Finland. You will receive the certificate or a notice of objection within 30 days from the date when your mobility notification was received. You will get the reply by email. After submitting your mobility notification, you can arrive in Finland at any moment within the period of validity of the permit issued by the first Member State.

Right to work

If the Finnish Immigration Service does not object to your mobility period, you can work without restrictions if your work is related to your degree. This means practical training and thesis work.

In addition, you may work in paid employment for a maximum of 30 hours per week. The number of working hours can be exceeded some weeks, as long as the average working hours are no more than 30 hours per week at the end of the year.

Students can no longer work without restrictions during holidays or at the times when the educational institution offers no instruction. The right to work changed when the amendments to legislation on students and researchers entered into force on 15 April 2022.

Mobility Notification for Student, ILMOITUS_OPI

Fill in the paper notification form