Skip to Content

Income requirement for persons who apply for a residence permit on the basis of work

If you apply for a residence permit in order to work in Finland, you need to be able to support yourself in Finland with your salary throughout the time your residence permit is valid. The minimum salary required for a residence permit may change, because the Finnish Immigration Service reviews it every year.

Specialists and EU Blue Card holders are required to earn a higher salary. For unsalaried jobs (au pair, voluntary work, Working Holiday), the income requirement is defined separately.

When you apply for an extended permit, the Finnish Immigration Service will get information about your salaries and benefits from the Incomes Register. Therefore, you do not need to attach certificates of salaries or benefits to your application. If we need further information, we will send you a request for additional information. Read more on the page Incomes Register.

Sufficient financial resources from work

If you apply for a residence permit in order to work full-time, your salary must at least correspond to the salary specified in the collective agreement that applies to your employment relationship. For more information about collective agreements, see the website

If there is no collective agreement in your sector or if you work part-time, your gross salary must be at least EUR 1,399 per month in 2024. This sum meets the condition regarding previous employment (in Finnish: ‘työssäoloehto’) under the Unemployment Security Act. 

See more detailed information on income requirement on different permit types