Skip to Content

Residence permit application for person with a degree completed in Finland

Use this application to apply for a residence permit on the basis of work if:

  • you have studied and completed a degree or qualification in Finland; and
  • you have a job, pursue a trade or engage in business activities in Finland.

You can apply for this permit regardless of which permit you had during your studies. Since you have completed a degree in Finland, you do not need to apply for a residence permit for an employed person or for a residence permit for an entrepreneur, for example. The degree you have completed in Finland does not need to be recent: you may apply for this permit even if time has passed since you completed your degree.

You can apply for this permit as an extended permit when you have graduated. You must attach your degree certificate to the application. However, you can submit an application already now if you will receive your degree certificate within three months. Attach the certificate to your application as soon as you receive it. 

If you do not yet have a job, or you have a job but you do not earn enough to be issued with a residence permit on the basis of work,

  • Expected processing time for an electronic application

    1-2 months

  • Expected processing time for a paper application

    2–4 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit  380 € / extended permit 160 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 480 € / extended permit 430 €

This is what you should do


Fill in the application:

When can I start working?

First residence permit

You cannot start working before you get a residence permit. Once you are granted a residence permit on the basis of a degree completed in Finland, you may work without restrictions.

Extended permit

If your current permit is a residence permit for studies and you apply for an extended permit on the basis of a degree before your current permit expires, you are allowed to continue working or start a new job already before the extended permit has been issued. You may work without restrictions. Read more on the page Right to work while your application for an extended permit is being processed.