Skip to Content

Residence permit application for visiting teacher, lecturer or instructor

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you will work as a visiting teacher, lecturer or instructor on the basis of an invitation or agreement.

You must have confirmed employment before you can apply for this permit. Your work may last for a maximum of one year. To work longer than that, you need to apply for a residence permit for an employed person.

  • Expected processing time

    First permit 1–2 months / extended permit 1–2 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 380 € / extended permit 160 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 480 € / extended permit 430 €

If your employer has obtained employer certification, you can apply for a D visa at the same time as you apply for a residence permit. The D visa allows you to travel to Finland immediately after you have been issued with a residence permit and a D visa sticker has been attached to your passport. Read more about the D visa.

Your spouse and children can apply for a D visa if they are applying for a residence permit on the basis of family ties. Read more on the page Moving to Finland to be with a family member

This is what you should do


Fill in the application:

Right to work

  • Your right to work gives you the right to perform the work for which you have been granted a residence permit.
  • Your right to work begins when you are granted a residence permit. You cannot start working before you get a residence permit.
  • Your right to work ends when your residence permit expires.