Skip to Content
I want to apply

If you wish to continue your residence in Finland, you need an extended permit

You need to apply for an extended permit before your residence permit expires. If you do not apply for an extended permit, you will have to leave Finland when your residence permit expires.

If you still meet the same requirements you met when your previous residence permit was granted to you, the Finnish Immigration Service will grant you an extended permit. If you have stayed in Finland long enough, you may apply for a permanent residence permit.

Are you looking for these?

  • If your residence permit is still valid but your card is going to expire or you have lost it, apply for a new card.

Alternatively, you can apply for an extended permit on new grounds. Remember that you need to meet the requirements for the residence permit you apply for.

In most cases, you can apply for an extended permit using the same application you used for your previous residence permit. In some cases, you need to submit a different application.

Find out what kind of an application you need when you apply for an extended permit

This Application Finder helps you find the right application. Answer the questions, and the Application Finder will take you to a page that explains the application requirements that you need to meet. On the same page, you will find a list of the documents you need to attach to your application.

We built the Application Finder to help you. Your answers will not be recorded or saved.