Residence permit card on the basis of temporary protection
If you are granted temporary protection, you will receive a residence permit card.
If you want a new residence permit card, we recommend that you apply for it online
You can apply for a new residence permit card in our online service Enter Finland. If you do so, you do not need to visit a service point. You can apply for a new card at any time as long as your residence permit is valid. You will receive your new card within approximately two weeks of submitting the application.
- If you have children who are under 18 years of age and who have received temporary protection in Finland, you can use Enter Finland to apply for new residence permit cards for them as well. However, you cannot use Enter Finland to apply for a residence permit card for a child who has turned 6 after he or she was granted temporary protection because, under law, your child’s fingerprints are required for the residence permit card. To apply for a residence permit card for a child who is at least 6 years old, you need to visit a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service to submit an application.
- Children who have reached the age of 15 can also apply for a new card independently in Enter Finland.
- If you are the representative of an unaccompanied minor, you can use Enter Finland to apply for a new residence permit card for the child.
How to apply for a new residence permit card in Enter Finland
Check our video tutorial how to create an EnterFinland account and apply for a new temporary protection residence permit card.
If you cannot apply for a new card in Enter Finland, you can visit a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service and apply for it there
If you want a new residence permit card but cannot apply for it in Enter Finland, you can apply for a new card at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service. Book an appointment beforehand in our appointment system.
- The service point staff can help you in Finnish, Swedish or English. We do not have interpreters at our service points.
- The first appointments are available for booking in our appointment system on 26 January 2023. You can book an appointment at the following service points:
- Joensuu police station, Pykäläkuja 1, 80100 Joensuu
- Jyväskylä: Government office building, Hannikaisenkatu 47, 40100 Jyväskylä
- Different service points have appointments on different days of the week.
- You can see all appointments available for booking at our service points in the appointment system. We will not publish separate information about them on our website.
How to collect your residence permit card from a DB Schenker collection point
You will receive your new residence permit card within approximately 2 weeks of submitting the application. Once your residence permit card is ready, DB Schenker will send you an email or a text message stating that you have received a shipment that is ready for collection. The message states also from which DB Schenker collection point you can collect your card.
We will send each card separately. If you have applied for a new residence permit card for yourself and for your child, we will send both cards separately. If you live on the Åland Islands or have a non-disclosure for personal safety reasons, we will send your residence permit card directly to the address you stated in your card application.
If you are collecting a card for another person, you do not need a power of attorney. You need to bring with you the arrival notification from DB Schenker and the customer number of the person whose card you are collecting.
You have now applied for a new residence permit card on the basis of temporary protection – this is how you collect your card from a DB Schenker collection point.pdf
Right to work
You will have the right to work and study as soon as you register your application for temporary protection with the police or a border control authority.