Skip to Content

Extension application, fixed-term residence permit on a continuous basis

Apply for an extended permit with this application if you have been granted a continuous fixed-term residence permit (A) on one of the following grounds: returnee, former Finnish citizen, Finnish origin, or need for international protection (you are a quota refugee, you have been granted refugee status or subsidiary protection through applying for asylum, or you have been issued a residence permit on the grounds of need for protection or an individual human reason) and you wish to apply for an extension permit on the same grounds.

If you received your first residence permit on the basis of family ties, please apply for an extended permit with the form OLE_JATKO_PS.

  • Expected processing time

    1–2 months

  • Paper application fee

    0 €

    Fee for extension application on the grounds of an individual human reason

    330 €

Jatkolupahakemus kansainvälisen suojelun perusteella

This is what you should do


Make sure you have all the attachments needed for the application and that they are up to date.


Fill in your application.


Book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.

Make sure you meet the following requirements

  • Your previous residence permit was granted to you on the basis of international protection (asylum or subsidiary protection).

Right to work

  • You have an unrestricted right to work. You may also continue working while your application for an extended permit is being processed if you applied for it before your previous residence permit expired. If you apply for an extended permit after your previous residence permit has expired, you are not allowed to continue working.

Application-specific attachments

  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop

Other possible attachments

  • You do not need to have a passport when you apply for an extended permit on the basis of international protection. However, if you do have a valid passport, bring it with you to our service point when you submit your application.
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes.

Extension application, fixed-term residence permit on a continuous basis, OLE_JATKO_A

Fill in a paper application