Residence permit application for internship

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are coming to Finland for work or an internship which

– is included in an intergovernmental agreement (for example a Working Holiday for citizens of Australia and New Zealand); or

– is included in an exchange programme run by non-governmental organisations; or

– is voluntary work that lasts for a maximum of 18 months.

This residence permit application form is also meant for you if you are between 18 and 30 years of age and you are coming to Finland for an internship, and

– you are studying the Finnish or Swedish language at a university abroad; or

– you are studying at a university abroad and the internship is in a field matching your studies or your qualifications.

The maximum length of an internship is 12 months or 18 months, depending on the grounds.

  • Expected processing time

    First permit 90 days / extended permit 90 days


  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 350 € / extended permit 190 €


  • Paper application fee

    First permit 550 € / extended permit 190 €


Residence permit on the basis on intra-corporate transfer (ICT)

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must also meet the following requirements:

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed for the application and that they are up to date. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland or at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate).


Visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate).


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.

Right to work

  • Your right to work gives you the right to perform the work for which you have been granted a residence permit.
  • You cannot start working before you get a residence permit.
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

Income requirement

You must have secure means of support

  • You need to be able to earn your living in Finland through gainful employment throughout the time your residence permit is valid. Your salary must at least correspond to the salary specified in the collective agreement that applies to your employment relationship. If there is no collective agreement in your sector, your gross salary must correspond to the salary level observed for similar work at the host company. If there is no one performing similar work at the host company, your salary must at least be customary and fair.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application

Application-specific attachments

  • Document that proves the home and host entities are a part of the same company or group of companies
  • Document proving that you have professional qualifications for specialist or executive work and that you have been employed by the same company or group of companies for at least three months without interruption or
  • Document proving that you are coming to work as a trainee employee at the host entity and that you have been employed by the same company or group of companies for at least three months without interruption. Attach a certificate of your higher education degree to your application.
  • Employment contract and assignment letter
    • Employment contract and assignment letter must include the following information:
      • principal terms and conditions of work
      • duration of the transfer
      • document proving that you can return to the home entity after your transfer
      • document proving that the work is intended for an executive, a specialist or a trainee employee

Residence permit application for employment of another kind, OLE_TY5

Fill in an electronic application