Residence permit application for internship

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are coming to Finland for work or an internship which

– is included in an intergovernmental agreement (for example a Working Holiday for citizens of Australia and New Zealand); or

– is included in an exchange programme run by non-governmental organisations; or

– is voluntary work that lasts for a maximum of 18 months.

This residence permit application form is also meant for you if you are between 18 and 30 years of age and you are coming to Finland for an internship, and

– you are studying the Finnish or Swedish language at a university abroad; or

– you are studying at a university abroad and the internship is in a field matching your studies or your qualifications.

The maximum length of an internship is 12 months or 18 months, depending on the grounds.

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 1 month / 

    extended permit 1 month

  • Expected processing time for paper application

    First permit 2 months / 

    extended permit 2 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 350 € / extended permit 190 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 550 € / extended permit 190 €


This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application here.


You should wait for the residence permit in the same country or locality where you submitted your application and proved your identity.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must also meet the following requirements:


You are studying the Finnish or Swedish language or the internship corresponds to your other studies.

  • You must be studying Finnish or Swedish in a higher education institution abroad; or
  • you must study in a higher education institution abroad and arrive in Finland for an internship that is related to your field of study.


You are 18–30 years of age.


Your internship may last a maximum of 18 months.

Right to work

  • You cannot start working before you get a residence permit.
  • Your right to work gives you the right to perform the work for which you have been granted a residence permit.
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

Income requirement

You must have secure means of support

  •  If you apply for a residence permit in order to work in Finland, you need to be able to earn your living in Finland through gainful employment throughout the time your residence permit is valid. The minimum salary from gainful employment is reviewed annually. Specialists and EU Blue Card holders are required to earn a higher salary. If your work is other than gainful employment (au pair, volunteering, Working holiday), your income requirement is defined separately.
    Read more on the page Income requirement.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

Note! We are updating our application forms. The list of required documents provided in the application form is therefore outdated. You should attach the following documents to your application:

  • Internship agreement containing the following information:
    • a description of the internship programme, including the educational objective or learning components
    • the duration of the internship
    • the placement and supervision conditions of the internship
    • the internship hours
    • the legal relationship between you and your employer (the organisation where your internship takes place)
    • the salary paid for the internship and any possible food and housing allowance
    • assurance or documentation showing that the internship does not replace a job
    • assurance or documentation showing that the employer has not, during the preceding nine months, terminated the contract of an employee with the same or similar work due to financial or production-related reasons or reasons arising from the reorganisation of the employer’s operations.

Residence permit application for internship, OLE_TY3

Fill in an electronic application