Skip to Content
Registering an EU citizen's right of residence

EU registration (free movement)

If you are a citizen of an EU Member State, a Nordic country, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you do not need a residence permit to stay in Finland. You must apply for EU registration if you plan to reside in Finland for a longer period than three months without interruption. As an EU citizen, you have an unrestricted right to work in Finland even if you have not yet received a decision on your registration application. You need to have a valid identity card or passport. If you are a citizen of a Nordic country (Denmark, Iceland, Norway or Sweden), or Sweden), contact the Digital and Population Data Services Agency.

When you have submitted your registration, you will receive a personal identity code and your stay in Finland will be legal. Even if you have registered your information in the Population Information System at a Local Register Office, you also need to apply for registration of your right of residence at the Finnish Immigration Service.

You do not have to register your residence if you are staying in Finland for an uninterrupted period of less than three months. The calculation of the three-month residence always restarts from the moment when you return to Finland after travelling outside its borders.

Finnish Immigration Service will not grant you a permanent address 

If the Finnish Immigration Service registers your right of residence as an EU citizen in Finland, you must then contact the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. This agency can grant you a municipality of residence and register your permanent address if you meet the requirements for this.  

Family members of an EU citizen

You should also register your right of residence if you are a family member of an EU citizen and are also an EU citizen yourself. If you are a family member of an EU citizen but not an EU citizen yourself, you need to apply for a residence card for a family member of an EU citizen.

Registration of children who are EU citizens

For a child who is an EU citizen, a registration certificate is usually applied on the basis of family ties. To apply for registration, you need to fill in a separate application for the child. At least one of the guardians has to be present when the paper application is submitted or when you arrive to prove the child’s identity after submitting an online application.

If both of the guardians are not personally present, you have to get a written consent to the application from the other guardian. The child has to have an own valid passport or identity card.

If your child is born in Finland, remember to register him or her within three months.

Residence must have grounds

An EU citizen must have grounds for residing in Finland and/or sufficient funds to live in Finland. An EU citizen may not cause an unreasonable burden to the Finnish social security system. An EU citizen may arrive in Finland as:

  • an employed person
  • a self-employed person
  • a family member
  • a student

You may also register on the grounds that you have sufficient funds to live in Finland, or, in other words, you will not need to rely on social assistance.

In your registration application, you need to present documentation of your grounds for residence and of your sufficient funds. You are not required to have a specific amount of money. We will take your personal circumstances into account when we consider this income requirement.

As an EU citizen, you have the right to start working immediately after you have arrived in Finland. You have an unrestricted right to work even if you have not yet received a decision on your registration application. If your family member is not an EU citizen, he or she can start working immediately when he or she arrives in Finland, if you are either living in Finland or moving to Finland.

Process of registering the right of residence

You might also be interested in the following information:

This website is part of the European Commission's Your Europe portal. Did you find what you were looking for? Give feedback to the European Commission! If you wish to give feedback to the Finnish Immigration Service, go to the page