Residence permit application for scientific research

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are coming to Finland in order to conduct scientific research or study for a Licentiate’s degree or prepare a doctoral dissertation, and you will receive a salary or a grant for your work. If you are paying for your studies yourself, you must apply for a student residence permit (OLE_OPI).

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 1–2 months / 

    extended permit 1–2 months

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 2–3 months / 

    extended permit 2–4 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 400 € / extended permit 200 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 470 € / extended permit 200 €

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must meet one of the following requirements:


You work professionally in the field of science.


You have been invited to Finland or you have signed a contract to work in Finland as a visiting teacher, lecturer, instructor or researcher, and your employment will last a maximum of one year.


You and the research institute have signed a hosting agreement (Section 47d, 516/2008). The research institute where you will work must be compliant with the Aliens Act and the Researchers’ Directive of the European Union. It must also have an approval from the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture to sign hosting agreements.

If you meet none of the requirements above, check if you are able to apply for a residence permit for studies.

If you come to Finland to study at a university after your master’s degree and finance your studies with your own money, you need to apply for a residence permit for studies.

Income requirement

You must have secure means of support

  • You need to be able to earn your living in Finland through gainful employment throughout the time you stay in Finland. Your salary must at least correspond to the salary specified in the collective agreement that applies to your employment relationship. If there is no general collective agreement in your sector, your gross salary must be at least EUR 1,189 per month in 2018. Read more on the page Income requirement.

Right to work

  • You cannot start working as a researcher before you get a residence permit. Your right to do other kinds of work depends on the grounds on which you were granted a residence permit for scientific research.
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • Employment contract or invitation from the research institute or company that will host you, detailing the key terms and conditions of your employment (salary, other benefits, scholarships, grants, duration of employment, duties and other possible information)
  • Clarification of income (document/clarification of the source(s) of your means of support) or Hosting agreement (agreement that a research institute signs with a researcher as referred to in the Researchers’ Directive (Council Directive 2005/71/EC)
  • Earlier degree certificates
  • Any certificates of employment

Residence permit application for scientific research, OLE_TUT

Fill in an electronic application