Residence permit application for internship

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are coming to Finland for work or an internship which

– is included in an intergovernmental agreement (for example a Working Holiday for citizens of Australia and New Zealand); or

– is included in an exchange programme run by non-governmental organisations; or

– is voluntary work that lasts for a maximum of 18 months.

This residence permit application form is also meant for you if you are between 18 and 30 years of age and you are coming to Finland for an internship, and

– you are studying the Finnish or Swedish language at a university abroad; or

– you are studying at a university abroad and the internship is in a field matching your studies or your qualifications.

The maximum length of an internship is 12 months or 18 months, depending on the grounds.

  • Expected processing time

    2 months

  • Electronic application fee

    400 €

  • Paper application fee

    470 €

For the citizen of New Zealand there is no processing fee. No processing fee is collected due to the agreement on the abolition of visas concluded between Finland and New Zealand in 1973.

Working holiday

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application here.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must meet one of the following requirements:

Right to work

  • The agreement between Finland and Australia restricts the right to work. If you are an Australian citizen, you may work for a maximum of nine (9) months during a twelve-month (12) trip, but you may only work for three (3) months for a single employer. If you plan to work for the same employer for longer than three months, you must apply for and be granted a residence permit for an employed person.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • A return ticket or sufficient means to acquire a return ticket
  • Documentation showing that you have sufficient funds to stay in Finland
  • Health insurance for your entire stay (if you are a citizen of New Zealand)

Residence permit application for internship, OLE_TY3

Fill in an electronic application