Skip to Content
Registering an EU citizen's right of residence

Registration of the right of residence of a citizen of the European Union

Apply for the registration of your right of residence (EU registration) if:

  • you are a citizen of an EU Member State, Liechtenstein or Switzerland; and
  • you will be staying in Finland for over 3 months at a time.

If you are a Nordic citizen (citizen of Denmark, Iceland, Norway or Sweden), register your personal data at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. Nordic citizens do not need to apply for EU registration at the Finnish Immigration Service.

  • Expected processing time

    The decision can be given as soon as the requirements are met.

  • Electronic application fee
    52 €

  • Paper application fee

The registration of your right of residence is valid until further notice. You will not have to extend the validity of the registration. When you have resided legally in Finland for a continuous period of 5 years, you have the right of permanent residence.

If you have registered your right of residence earlier and you now need a copy of the original registration certificate, please submit a certificate request to the Finnish Immigration Service.

This is what you should do:

Make sure you meet the following requirements:

Make sure you have all the attachments needed:

You must present the original documents when you visit the service point. If the documents are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, they must be accompanied by a translation into one of these languages made by an authorised translator.

A document that has been issued by an authority in an EU Member State concerning birth, marriage, registered partnership or death does not need to be translated, if you attach to the document a multilingual standard form issued by the authority.

Apply for the EU registration:

Registration of the right of residence of a citizen of the European Union, EU_REK

Fill in an electronic application