Skip to Content

Tuition fees and contents of a residence permit card

Tuition fees

During the residence permit process, the Finnish Immigration Service has to make sure that the person applying for a residence permit has sufficient means to live in Finland. That is why the Finnish Immigration Service should be informed about degree programmes that are subject to a fee and at what stage the tuition fee is charged.

  • If the tuition fee has to be paid before coming to Finland, the student needs to attach documentation of the paid fee (supplied by the student or the educational institution) as well as sufficient means of support to his or her residence permit application.
  • If the tuition fee does not have to be paid until after the studies have begun, the student has to prove that he or she has sufficient means both for the tuition fee and for supporting himself or herself when applying for a residence permit. The tuition fee cannot be covered by the amount of money that is required as means of support.
  • If the student has been exempted from paying tuition fees or received a scholarship, he or she has to present a certificate from the educational institution of this. In addition, the student has to have sufficient means of support.

The educational institution decides if a student is exempted from tuition fees. The Finnish Immigration Service has no jurisdiction in the matter.

Contents of a residence permit card

The status of a student already living in Finland can easily be checked on his or her residence permit card.

The type of the residence permit is visible on the front of the card under ‘residence permit type’. On the front of the card, the validity period of the card holder’s permit is also visible.

Residence permit types:

  • B = temporary residence permit
  • A = continuous residence permit
  • P = permanent residence permit
  • P-EU = long-term resident’s EU residence permit for third-country nationals

B and A permits are fixed-term residence permits. The residence of a family member of a Finnish citizen is considered to be continuous and the residence permit type is therefore A.

If the card holder has been granted an EU Blue Card, the following text is written under the information about the type of residence permit: EU:n sininen kortti (EU Blue Card).

If a person is residing in Finland on the grounds that he or she is a family member of an EU citizen or a comparable person, he or she has been granted a residence card as proof of this. Residence cards are only granted to the above-mentioned family members.