Refund of a payment
We can refund the processing fee only if the fee charged from you was too high or unfounded for reasons connected with the authorities, or because you have chosen the wrong application and therefore have paid the wrong processing fee. The processing fee for an online application will be refunded to you if you cancel your application before you prove your identity.
You can ask for a refund by email or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.
Request for refund by email
Send your request for refund to email@example.com.
Your email message must include the following:
- Attach a receipt for the payment or the payment details from your online bank statement (the sum, the date of payment, the name of the payer and the identification number such as an order number, a reference number or a filing number). If you have already submitted a new application and paid the processing fee for it, attach also the receipt for this payment or the payments details from your online bank statement.
- The bank account into which the refund is paid: the account number in IBAN format, the BIC/SWIFT code and the name of the account holder.
- If the bank account is not in a Finnish bank, inform us also of your current home address for receiving the refund.
We will inform you when the refund has been paid. It takes normally from 2 to 3 months to issue the refund. Unfortunately, there is currently a backlog of refunds, and it takes from 7 to 8 months to issue a refund.
When you ask for a refund by email, the fee cannot be refunded to a credit card.
Refund at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service
We can refund a processing fee at our service points only in the following cases:
- The type of matter for your application changes at a service point (for example, you have paid the wrong processing fee online and you are refunded the difference of the processing fees).
- You or the person you wish to receive the refund has a debit or credit card to which the payment is refunded.