A citizenship declaration for a child born abroad (father is a Finnish citizen)

Apply with this declaration for Finnish citizenship for a child who was born out of wedlock abroad to a Finnish father 1 June 2003 or later. Before submitting the declaration, the paternity has to be confirmed abroad or in Finland. The declaration is submitted by the person who has custody of the child or the child’s guardian.

  • Expected processing time

    5–9 months

  • Electronic application fee

    80 €

  • Paper application fee

    100 €

This is what you should do


Make sure the child meets the requirements for becoming a citizen.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed for the application and that they are up to date. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your electronic application in the e-service Enter Finland. Pay for a paper application at a service point.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Make sure your child meets the following requirements:

  • the child was born on 1 June 2003 or later,
  • the child was born out of wedlock, and the parents have not married after the child was born
  • the child’s father is a Finnish citizen or was a Finnish citizen when he was still alive
  • paternity has been established abroad or in Finland before you submit your declaration.

These requirements must be met at the time you submit your declaration.

Application-specific attachments

  • Proof of the father’s Finnish citizenship at the time the applicant was born.
    • For example, a copy of a valid Finnish passport or a residence permit in the country of residence, or a certificate issued by a competent authority in the country of residence, showing that the father had not become a citizen of his country of residence.
    • In principle, proof is not required in the following situations:
      • The father has not resided outside Finland, or he has only resided in the Nordic countries.
      • The father has become a Finnish citizen on application, and he resided in Finland until the applicant was born.
      • The father has become a citizen of another state on 1 June 2003 or later.
  • A birth certificate indicating the child's parents and place of birth if the applicant is not registered in the Finnish Population Information System.
  • A certificate of the applicant’s nationality (for example, a copy of a valid passport or another identity document which shows his or her nationality) if the applicant is not registered in the Population Information System.
  • Documentation of the confirmation of paternity.
  • Proof that the father has custody of the child if the father submits the declaration.
  • Proof of appointment of a legal guardian if the guardian submits the declaration.