Residence permit application for sports or coaching

Apply for a residence permit with this form if you are coming to Finland as an athlete or a coach and you will be undertaking this activity professionally and on a full-time basis. You must also have signed a player agreement or an employment contract with a sports club or similar organization.

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 2–4 months / extended permit 3–4 months


  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 3–4 months / extended permit 4–4 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 400 € / extended permit 200 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 470 € / extended permit 200 €

Athlete, coach or trainer

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application here.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must also meet the following requirements:

Income requirement

You must be paid enough for your work.

  • You need to be able to earn your living in Finland through gainful employment throughout the time your residence permit is valid. Your salary must at least correspond to the salary that meets the condition regarding previous employment (in Finnish: ‘työssäoloehto’) under the Unemployment Security Act. In 2018, this means a gross salary of at least EUR 1,189 per month. If your accommodation benefit or some other benefit is considered to form a part of your salary, you must attach a document on the taxable value of the benefit to your residence permit application. It is not possible to replace a salary in money with other fringe benefits (such as game or training outfits) or with health care or reimbursement of expenses.
  • There are no requirements concerning league or division level. In practice, sufficient salary is for example paid to football players in the Veikkausliiga division and the First Division, and to hockey players in the SM-league and the Mestis Hockey League.

Right to work

  • Your right to work gives you the right to perform the work for which you have been granted a residence permit.
  • You cannot start working before you get a residence permit.
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • Your employment contract or player contract with a sports club or a corresponding employer
  • Certificates from your previous employers/sports clubs
  • Certificate of sports club membership
  • Degree certificate or a corresponding document

Residence permit application for sports or coaching, OLE_TY4

Fill in an electronic application