Skip to Content

Financial support

You are allowed to work and there are no restrictions on your right to work. If you or your family members do not have enough income and funds to cover your immediate basic needs, such as food and clothing, you can get reception allowance. For more information about reception allowance and the amounts paid, see the page Reception allowance.

  • Reception allowance is meant to cover your essential basic needs. The sum is the same as for asylum seekers.
  • The amount of reception allowance you can receive depends on
    • the financial resources available to you
    • your income
    • whether you stay at a reception centre, live independently in private accommodation, or live in private accommodation with other people. 
  • Submit an application for reception allowance to the reception centre at which you are registered. Report all financial resources and income available to you on the application. Ask your reception centre for more information and help with filling in the application.
  • The reception allowance can be 
    • loaded onto your prepaid card
      • You can apply for a prepaid card at your reception centre. 
    • paid into your personal Finnish bank account
      • You must open the account yourself and cover any costs related to using banking services.
  • paid to you in cash
    • If you do not have a Finnish bank account and your reception centre cannot provide you with a prepaid card.
  • If there are delays in the processing of your application or the payment of your reception allowance, your reception centre will help you meet your basic needs in other ways, such as by providing food aid or supermarket vouchers. If necessary, you may also receive a voucher for the purchase of prescription medication.
  • If you are staying in private accommodation and need help with meeting your basic needs, contact your reception centre.

When you have a municipality of residence

If you get a municipality of residence, you will no longer be a client of the reception system. Instead, you will become a resident of the municipality where you live and a client of a wellbeing services county. A wellbeing services county arranges public healthcare, social welfare and rescue services to all residents in the region it serves.

You are allowed to work and there are no restrictions on your right to work. You can apply for benefits, such as child benefit and housing allowance, from Kela. You can also apply for basic social assistance from Kela if you need financial support and are unable to make a living in any other way. For more information, see the website Social Assistance (