Determination of citizenship
You may ask the Finnish Immigration Service to determine your citizenship status in the following cases:
- You want to know if you are a Finnish citizen.
- You want to know what citizenship you are considered to hold in Finland.
- Your citizenship information is not correct in the Population Information System (you are a citizen of some other state than the one entered in the system).
- You want to determine the citizenship of a child in your custody.
- You want to know if you have been a Finnish citizen.
- You want to know if you are considered to be stateless in Finland.
‘Citizenship status’ means:
- your current and previous citizenship
- unknown citizenship
You can request determination of your citizenship status yourself, or it can be requested by an authority.
Request determination of citizenship status by submitting an application:
You can send the form to the Finnish Immigration Service by post or email, or you can bring it to one of our service points.
Request by an authority
The authorities (the police, the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, a Finnish mission) must request determination of a person’s citizenship status if there is a possibility that this information is incorrect or not up to date in the Population Information System. In such a case, citizenship status will be determined free of charge.
Expected processing time
Paper application fee