Determination of citizenship
You may ask the Finnish Immigration Service to determine your citizenship status in the following cases:
- You want to know if you are a Finnish citizen.
- You want to know what citizenship you are considered to hold in Finland.
- Your citizenship information is not correct in the Population Information System (you are a citizen of some other state than the one entered in the system).
- You want to determine the citizenship of a child in your custody.
‘Citizenship status’ means:
- your current and previous citizenship
- unknown citizenship
You can request determination of your citizenship status yourself, or it can be requested by an authority.
Request determination of citizenship status by submitting an application:
Request by an authority
The authorities (the police, a Local Register Office, a Finnish mission) must request determination of a person’s citizenship status if there is a possibility that this information is incorrect or not up to date in the Population Information System. In such a case, citizenship status will be determined free of charge.
Expected processing time
Paper application fee