Who needs a permit to do seasonal work?
People coming to Finland to do seasonal work must apply for the appropriate permit. There are three kinds of seasonal work permits.
- You need a visa for seasonal work, if you are coming from a country whose citizens are required to have a visa and will work for a maximum of 90 days. Applications for a visa for seasonal work are processed and decided by Finnish missions (embassies and consulates).
- You need a certificate for seasonal work, if you are coming from a country whose citizens are not required to have a visa and will work for a maximum of 90 days. The Finnish Immigration Service grants the certificate.
- You need a residence permit for seasonal work if you will work in Finland for three to nine months. Submit your application to the Finnish Immigration Service. If you will work for six to nine months, an Employment and Economic Development Office will first make a partial decision.
How do I apply for a seasonal work permit?
Use the e-service Enter Finland to apply for a certificate for seasonal work or for a residence permit for seasonal work. The e-service is the fastest and cheapest way to apply.
If you cannot use online services and the seasonal work lasts for a maximum of 90 days:
- You can send a request for a certificate for seasonal work and the necessary attachments by email or by post to the Finnish Immigration Service.
If you cannot use online services and the seasonal work lasts for 3–9 months,
- You can apply for a residence permit for seasonal work at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) abroad. You cannot send the application by email or by post.
- If you are renewing a seasonal work permit, you can also apply for the permit in Finland by submitting the application at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.
You can only apply for a seasonal work visa at a Finnish mission abroad (embassy or consulate).
Can a seasonal worker have several employers?
Yes, it is possible to have more than one employer. Those who will work on berry farms, for example, can sign an employment contract with several companies already before they start working.
If you intend to work for several employers, provide the information and attachments on each employer at the application stage. You can supplement your application while it is still being processed by the Finnish Immigration Service.
Apply for a new seasonal work certificate if the seasonal work is clearly done during separate periods of time. For example, if the employment contracts take place in May–June and September–October, submit separate seasonal work certificate applications for each period of work. You should also check that you still have enough visa-free period left. If you work after your visa-free period has ended, you and your employer are guilty of a violation of the Aliens Act.
Does the employer have to pay the minimum wage according to the collective agreement?
The income of a seasonal worker coming to Finland must be ensured by paid employment, and your wage must be at minimum in accordance with the collective agreement that applies to your employment relationship.
The employer must guarantee the employee enough working hours that the hourly wage required by the collective agreement multiplied by the number of working hours is at least EUR 1,252 per month.
What details does my employer need to provide for the application?
The employer must always fill in the terms of employment in an application concerning seasonal work. The fastest way to do this is to log in to Enter Finland for Employers and fill in the details under 'waiting for work conditions'.
If the employer cannot use Enter Finland for Employers, the employer must use the paper form TY6_plus to submit the terms of employment. The form includes basic information about the employer, the employee and the terms of employment.
What attachments do I need when I apply for a certificate for seasonal work?
Attach the following documents to your application:
- colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes.
When you apply for a permit in Enter Finland, you can give your employer permission to supplement your application in Enter Finland for Employers. Your employer needs to supplement your application with the following information:
- If it is not possible to use Enter Finland, submit the supplement form TY6_plus, filled in and signed by your employer, together with your application.
Your employer can also pay for your application in Enter Finland for Employers.
- If it is not possible to use Enter Finland, attach a copy of the payment receipt to your application.
If you are going to work for more than one employer, you must submit the necessary details and attachments about all the employers. You can supplement your application while it is still being processed by the Finnish Immigration Service.
"The applicant must have appropriate accommodation." What does this mean?
The living conditions must fulfil the generally recognised health and safety requirements for housing in Finland. The accommodation must be warm, fire safe and equipped with sufficient toilet and bathroom facilities. It must also have warm water for washing and enough room to sleep in.
How can I follow the processing of my application?
When you apply for a residence permit for seasonal work in Enter Finland, you can follow the processing of your application in the online service.
If you have applied for a residence permit for seasonal work, you can ask about the status of your application from our chatbot Kamu on our website migri.fi. Kamu will check the status of your application among all other applications with the same type of matter and processing grounds. For more information, see the page migri.fi/chat1.
We update the processing status of seasonal work applications every week with a customer bulletin on the queue situation. The bulletin is published on our website at migri.fi/customer-bulletins.
We process applications for seasonal work in the order in which they have been submitted. However, we take into account the starting date of the employment in the processing.
We try to process applications submitted for the same employer at the same time.
The legal processing time for seasonal work applications is three months.
I have a residence permit in another EU country. Can I apply for a certificate for seasonal work?
No, you cannot. If you want to do seasonal work, you must apply for a residence permit for an employed person (TTOL) with the form OLE_TY1.
I am currently working in Finland with a residence permit for seasonal work. I would like to keep doing seasonal work in Finland. The work lasts for two (2) months. Can I apply for a seasonal work certificate?
No, you cannot. Applying for a seasonal work certificate in order to continue your stay is not possible. Depending on the length of the employment relationship, you need to apply for either a residence permit for seasonal work or a residence permit for an employed person. If you have a residence permit in Finland granted on other grounds or if you have a pending residence permit application in Finland, you cannot apply for a seasonal work certificate, either.
How can I pay the processing fee?
There are different ways to pay the fee.
Certificate for seasonal work:
- By a bank transfer directly to the account of the Finnish Immigration Service (FI59 8129 9710 0117 35 or FI86 1804 3000 0154 04) or in the e-service Enter Finland. Log in to Enter Finland and attach a receipt of the payment to your application. The receipt must include your name. You should attach to your application a copy of the receipt also when you are applying with a paper form.
Residence permit for seasonal work:
- You can pay in the e-service Enter Finland with the most common credit cards or with Finnish online banking codes.
- If you have applied for a residence permit for seasonal work, you can pay at the Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) that you visit to prove your identity.
I am a freelancer doing seasonal work in Finland. Can I get a certificate for seasonal work or a residence permit for seasonal work?
You cannot get a certificate or residence permit for seasonal work if you have not signed an employment contract with an employer who operates in Finland.
To be eligible for a certificate or a residence permit for seasonal work, the employee must have signed an employment contract with the employer.
To work as a freelancer in Finland, apply for a residence permit for an entrepreneur.