Residence permit application for au pair status

Apply with this application for a residence permit if you intend to come to Finland to work as an au pair.

The purpose of an au pair position is to provide a young person (aged 17 to 30) an opportunity to become acquainted with the language and culture of the country in exchange for performing light housework. The purpose of an au pair position is not to gain a household employee. Domestic staff applies for a residence permit with the form OLE_TY1. Au pairs are required to have studied or taken an interest in the Finnish or Swedish language or culture, for instance Finnish history or politics. The working hours of an au pair must be set so that he or she will have the opportunity to take classes in Finnish or Swedish while in Finland.

You can live in Finland on an au pair status for the maximum of one year.

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    1–3 months

  • Expected processing time for paper application

    2–4 months

  • Electronic application fee

    420 €

  • Paper application fee

    470 €

Au pair

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must also meet the following requirements:

Right to work

  • You cannot start working as an au pair before you get a residence permit.
  • As an au pair, you may be expected to do light domestic work for a maximum of 30 hours per week and five hours per day. You must have at least one full day off per week. You must have at least one Sunday off per month. Your host family must give you enough time for attending language courses and for your cultural and professional improvement.
  • If you cannot continue living with your host family, you are free to find a new host family. You do not need to apply for a new residence permit if your old permit is still valid.
  • You may work as an au pair in Finland for a maximum of one year.
  • Your right to work ends when your residence permit expires. Your right to work will end even if you apply for an extended permit on other grounds, such as on the basis of work.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • Au pair contract (signed with the host family)
  • General health certificate (less than 3 months old)
  • Certificate showing that you do not have a criminal record
  • Certificates of employment concerning your previous experience in household work and child care
  • Certificates regarding previous studies and language skills
  • Document showing Finnish or Swedish skills you have learned in advance
  • Document concerning your interest in the Finnish culture (for example a certificate of studies in history or politics)

Ask your host family to give you the following documents and enclose them with your application

  • Document indicating where and what kind of health and accident insurance will be taken out
  • Document specifying the Finnish or Swedish language courses in which you have been or will be enrolled and in which you will be able to participate
  • Document explaining how the children’s day care or schoolchildren’s afternoon care has been organised

Residence permit application for au pair status, OLE_AUP

Fill in an electronic application