Skip to Content

Residence permit application on the basis of research completed in Finland

Apply for a residence permit using this application if

  • you have carried out and completed research work in Finland
  • you have a job in Finland, are an entrepreneur, or pursue a trade or business.

You can apply for a residence permit on these grounds regardless of which permit you have held when conducting research. If you have completed your research in Finland, you do not need to apply for a residence permit for an employed person or a residence permit for an entrepreneur.

You can apply for this permit after completing your research. To apply, you need to submit a certificate of your doctoral degree or a confirmation by your research organisation of the completion of your research work.

If your employer has obtained employer certification, you can apply for a D visa at the same time as you apply for a residence permit. The D visa allows you to travel to Finland immediately after you have been issued with a residence permit and a D visa sticker has been attached to your passport. Read more about the D visa.

Your spouse and children can apply for a D visa if they are applying for a residence permit on the basis of family ties. Read more on the page Moving to Finland to be with a family member

  • Expected processing time for an electronic application

    First permit 2 months / extended permit 2 months

  • Expected processing time for a paper application

    First permit 2 months / extended permit 2 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit  380 € / extended permit 170 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 480 € / extended permit 430 €

This is what you should do


Fill in the application:

When can I start working?

First residence permit:

You cannot start working before you get a residence permit. Once you are granted the residence permit, you may work without restrictions.

Extended permit: 

If your current permit is a residence permit for a researcher and you apply for an extended permit on the basis of completed research work before your current permit expires, you may continue to work or start a new job before the extended permit is granted. You may work without restrictions. Read more on the page Working while your extended permit application is being processed

Prepare for your life in Finland