Skip to Content

Students must have insurance

As a student, you must personally cover the costs if you become ill in Finland. In order to get a residence permit, you must take out private insurance that will cover your medical and drug expenses. The insurance you need depends on the duration of your studies in Finland. If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you do not need to take out insurance.

Attach a certificate of insurance or a copy of your European Health Insurance Card to your application.

What kind of insurance do I need?

All insurance must meet the following requirements:

  • The insurance deductible may not be more than EUR 300.
  • Your insurance must be valid throughout your entire stay in Finland. Take out insurance for a year if you plan to study in Finland for at least a year. Renew your insurance in good time.
  • Your insurance must be valid when you arrive in Finland.
  • Your insurance may not be an ordinary travel insurance. Travel insurance is only meant for holidays that are shorter than three months.
  • Do not cancel your insurance. In that case, you will have to pay for your medical and hospital expenses yourself if you fall ill.

The amount of insurance depends on the duration of your studies in Finland. If your studies take less than two years (less than four semesters):

  • your insurance must cover medical expenses up to EUR 100,000.

If your studies take at least two years (four semesters or more):

  • your insurance must cover medical expenses up to EUR 30,000.

In other words, the shorter your studies will take, the more extensive insurance coverage you will need. For example, an exchange student needs more comprehensive insurance than a degree student.

Please note that if you are studying for a degree and you will complete some of your studies in another country, you will need more comprehensive insurance. For instance, if you are studying for a Master’s degree, and study in Finland for a year and in another country for another year, you need insurance that covers health care expenses up to EUR 100,000.

Where can I take out acceptable insurance?

When you are outside Finland, you can take out insurance from an insurance company in your home country. Alternatively, you may ask for suitable insurance from an international insurance company. Finnish missions (embassies and consulates) and the Finnish police can give you further advice.

You can also look into insurance providers that offer international health insurance for students. The Finnish Immigration Service recommends for example the following insurance companies:

We assess each insurance policy and its terms and conditions individually when we process residence permit applications. The insurance policy must at least include:

  • your personal details
  • period of validity of insurance
  • geographical area in which your insurance is valid
  • insurance coverage
  • insured amounts
  • amount of deductible, or a mention that there is no deductible

European Health Insurance Card

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you do not need to take out other insurance. Your card must be valid for the duration of your stay in Finland. According to EU legislation, you can access health care at the same cost and under the same conditions as people living permanently in Finland.

By presenting the European Health Insurance Card, you can prove your right to necessary medical treatment in another EU or EEA country and in Switzerland. With the card, you can get medical treatment if you become suddenly ill or have an accident. You can also get medical treatment if you have a chronic illness that requires medical attention. The card also gives access to necessary treatment during pregnancy and childbirth.

The European Health Insurance Card is recognised within the public health care services as well as by private doctors and hospitals that have signed a health insurance agreement. Read more about the European Health Insurance Card on the website of the European Commission.