Skip to Content
Temporary protection

Traveling from Finland 

When you have been issued with a residence permit on the basis of temporary protection, you may travel in the Schengen area without a visa for up to 90 days out of any 180-day period. When you travel, you must have your valid passport and residence permit card with you. Notify your reception centre of your intention to travel. 

If you are going leave Finland but intend to come back soon, you need to inform your reception centre of your travel intentions

Send them the following information:

  • when you intend to leave Finland and how long you intend to stay outside Finland
  • the date on which you will return to Finland, if known.

Include in your statement:

  • your first and last name 
  • your Finnish Immigration Service customer number.

Send the statement  

  • to your own reception centre. You will find the contact information of reception centres on the page Reception centres

Please note: If you have also applied for asylum and you leave Finland, even for a short time, the Finnish Immigration Service will issue an expiry decision on your asylum application.

Read the instructions below if you left Finland and return to the country

Your residence permit issued on the basis of temporary protection is still valid if you have not cancelled it or been granted a temporary protection permit in another country in Europe after leaving Finland. If your temporary protection permit issued in Finland is valid, you can apply for a new residence permit card on the basis of temporary protection. For instructions on how to apply, see our residence permit card on the basis of temporary protection page.

If you do not have a temporary protection residence permit or if it is no longer valid in Finland, reapply for temporary protection with a border control authority or the police (

You obtain the right to work and study as soon as you register your application for temporary protection with the police or a border control authority. Your right to work is valid until 4 March 2025. If you are not sure whether you have the right to work, you can ask the Finnish Immigration Service about it by email. For instructions, see the page Information about the right to work.

Are you looking for

If you have applied for temporary protection and will leave Finland permanently: Withdrawal of applications or permits