The Finnish Immigration Service may arrange a DNA test
The Finnish Immigration Service may offer the applicant and the sponsor the opportunity to take a DNA test if there are no other means of sufficiently establishing family ties based on biological relationship.
A DNA test may be done if it can be used to obtain convincing evidence of family ties. The DNA test will be offered by the Finnish Immigration Service. Neither the residence permit applicant nor the sponsor may demand a DNA test.
The Finnish Immigration Service may arrange a DNA test if there are no documents concerning the biological relationship between the applicant and the sponsor or if existing documents cannot be considered reliable, and if there remains uncertainty over the biological relationship after an oral interview.
DNA test requires the consent of the applicant
The DNA test is paid for by the Finnish government and participation is voluntary. The test can be performed once the person taking the test has given his or her written consent. Consent on behalf of an underage child is given by the child’s guardian or other legal representative. If the child is 12 years of age or over, the child’s own consent is also needed.
The sample is usually taken by swab from the inside of the cheek, but a blood test may be used instead.
The DNA test data will not be used for any purpose other than investigating whether the applicant and the sponsor have such family ties that a residence permit may be granted.
DNA testing in connection with a residence permit application
- Analyse ADN dans le cadre d’une demande de titre de séjour (fr)
- Baaritaanka DNA-da marka la codsanaayo sharciga degganaanshaha dalka (so)
- Consentement à une analyse ADN (fr)
- Consent to DNA analysis (en)
- DNA-analys i anslutning till ansökan om uppehållstillstånd (sv)
- DNA testing in connection with a residence permit application (en)
- DNA-tutkimus oleskelulupahakemuksen yhteydessä (fi)
- Oggolaanshaha baaritaanka DNA-da (so)
- Samtycke till DNA-analys (sv)
- Suostumus DNA-tutkimukseen (fi)