Cancelling an application
You may cancel your application at any time during the asylum seeking process. If you cancel your application, we will stop processing it and make a decision on the expiry of your application. You cannot appeal the expiry decision to an Administrative Court.
Follow these instructions:
- You may cancel your application by giving us a written notification. You can write it in your native language.
- You must personally give the notification to an official of the Finnish Immigration Service, the police, the border authorities, or the director or the deputy director of a reception centre.
- Your notification must clearly and explicitly state that you are cancelling your asylum application. Date and sign the notification.
- This is what happens when you hand over your notification:
- The public officials will ask two competent witnesses to be present. The witnesses may be officials of the Finnish Immigration Service, border control authorities or police authorities.
- The public officials will ask you to state your opinion on your potential removal from Finland and prohibition of entry.
When the Finnish Immigration Service makes a decision on the expiry of your application, we may at the same time decide on your removal from the country and impose a prohibition of entry. We will only decide on your removal from the country and impose a prohibition of entry if this is required by law.
After you have received an expiry decision, you may apply for assisted voluntary return to your home country.