Skip to Content

For educational institutions

The information on these pages is especially intended for educational institutions that receive foreign students from outside the EU and the EEA.

On these pages, you can quickly find answers to your questions about the role of the educational institution in the process of obtaining a residence permit. We have gathered illustrated instructions concerning the contents of a residence permit card to make it easier to find out whether the student is obliged to pay a tuition fee. On these pages you can also find information about working and internships during studies, postgraduate studies and asylum seekers’ right to study.

Information package on residence permits for studies

This information package (pdf) contains information on residence permits for studies to help you give guidance to students from outside the European Union (EU). The information package is available as a PDF file that can be easily navigated by using the table of contents. We will update the information package regularly and with regard to upcoming changes in 2023. 

Information meeting for educational institutions on 20 January 2022 (only in Finnish)

The topics covered in the webinar included researchers' and students' residence permits as well as an upcoming legislative amendment and its anticipated effects on residence permits. One goal of the legislative amendment is to enable the granting of a student's first residence permit for the entire duration of their studies. The speakers at the information meeting came from the Finnish Immigration Service, from the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment and from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

A representative for the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment spoke about the current government proposal for amending the act governing the residence permits of researchers and students. The Finnish Immigration Service's presentations explored the effects of the legislative amendments on residence permits and on applications submitted online in Enter Finland. In addition, a representative for the Ministry for Foreign Affairs gave an update on the current situation of Finnish missions and on students’ permit applications.

Information meeting for educational institutions (