Skip to Content

My other relative is in Finland

This page contains information about how to apply for a residence permit if your other relative than a spouse, child or guardian is in Finland and is a Finnish citizen or has been granted asylum or a residence permit on the basis of subsidiary protection or temporary protection.

In the menu to the left you will find all the information you need for making an application. If you are using a mobile device, you will find the information under the menu in the top right corner of the page.

Who can be your other relative?

Persons who can be considered other relatives include, for example, the following:

  • the parent of a person who has turned 18
  • a sister or brother of a child under 18 years of age, if the sister or brother who is in another country than Finland is also under 18 years of age and has no guardian or has a different guardian than the child living in Finland (also the consent of the guardian is required)
  • an unmarried sister or brother of a person who has turned 18

For example, the parents of a spouse or any other relatives of a spouse are not considered to be other relatives of the person living in Finland.