Residence permit application for employment of another kind

Apply for a residence permit with this application if there is no separate application form for the work assignment in question. Apply for a residence permit with this application if you, for example, are coming to work for an association or to work professionally in the arts or you have taken a degree in Finland.

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 1–3 months / extended permit 1–2 months

  • Expected processing time for paper application

    First permit 2–4 months / extended permit 2–4 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit  400 € / extended permit 200 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 470 € / extended permit 200 €

Work in the field of science, culture or arts

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application here.


You should wait for the residence permit in the same country or locality where you submitted your application and proved your identity.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must also meet the following requirements:

Income requirement

You must have secure means of support

  • If you are in an employment relationship, you must be able to earn your living in Finland through gainful employment throughout the time you stay in Finland. Your salary must at least correspond to the salary specified in the collective agreement that applies to your employment relationship. If there is no general collective agreement in your sector, your gross salary must be at least EUR 1,189 per month in 2018. Read more on the page Income requirement.
  • If you are not in an employment relationship, you must have at least EUR 1,000 per month at your disposal for your living costs in Finland. You can secure your income with funds, earnings from work or even other types of income, such as a research scholarship.

Right to work

  • You cannot start working before you get a residence permit.
  • Your right to work gives you the right to perform the work for which you have been granted a residence permit.
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • Employment contract or a binding job offer (principal terms of work)
  • Degree certificate
  • Evidence of your work experience in the arts (certificates of employment from your previous employers or equivalent evidence)

Residence permit application for employment of another kind, OLE_TY5

Fill in an electronic application