Skip to Content

Asylum seekers’ right to study

The Aliens Act does not restrict asylum seekers’ right to study. An asylum seeker may apply for and accept a study place if this is not against the rules and regulations of the educational institution in question.

However, receiving a study place does not automatically mean that the asylum seeker may stay in Finland. When an asylum matter is processed, the applicant’s right to receive international protection is examined. If an asylum seeker wants to stay in Finland on the basis of studies, he or she must submit a separate residence permit application for this purpose and meet the requirements for obtaining the residence permit.