Are you in Finland and applying for a residence permit? Changes in the submission of applications and in the operation of service points
Please note that you will find updated instructions for applying and for visiting our service points during the coronavirus epidemic at the address migri.fi/en/coronavirus.
Due to the coronavirus situation, handling matters with a queue number is not possible at the service points of the Finnish Immigration Service. This exception is valid until further notice. Starting from 23 March 2020, you can only visit our service points if you have an appointment. If you submit your application during the coronavirus epidemic, we will book you an appointment for proving your identity.
- If your permit is about to expire soon, you can submit your application in the online service Enter Finland.
- Normally, you would be required to visit a service point within three months of the date when you submitted your application.
- Because of the coronavirus situation, we will book you an appointment for proving your identity as soon as it is possible.
You do not need to book the appointment yourself or worry about getting an appointment. You only need to submit your application and pay the processing fee. Please make sure that the contact details you have given in your application are correct, especially your phone number and your email address.
Many matters can easily be dealt with online
Most applications can be submitted using the online service Enter Finland at enterfinland.fi.
- The online service Enter Finland is the quickest and most affordable way to apply.
- The online service will guide you through the whole process of filling in the application.
- Pay the processing fee and follow the status of your application in Enter Finland.
You can use Enter Finland even if you do not have online banking credentials. You only need an email address.
If you are applying for an extended permit and have used strong electronic identification in Enter Finland, you do not always need to visit a service point. You can use strong electronic identification in Enter Finland by logging in with your online banking credentials, citizen certificate or mobile certificate. The online service will tell you whether you have to visit a service point or whether the electronic identification is enough. If you need to visit a service point and prove your identity there, we will book you an appointment for that as soon as it is possible.
You can apply for an extended permit in Enter Finland even if you applied for your first permit with a paper application.
If you cannot use Enter Finland
Please use Enter Finland whenever possible. If you are unable to use the online service, you can submit your application in one of the following ways:
- Scan your paper application and email it to the address firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application becomes pending when you receive a confirmation email.
- Send your paper application by post to this address: Finnish Immigration Service, PO Box 10, 00086 Maahanmuuttovirasto. Your application becomes pending when the letter has been recorded as received.
You cannot bring a paper application directly to a service point without an appointment. Please note that your application will become pending quicker by email than by post. If you choose to send your application by post, send it as a registered letter, if possible.
You can pay the processing fee for your application into the bank account of the Finnish Immigration Service: FI50 5000 0121 5029 82. Write your customer number and the name of the permit you are applying for in the message field. Attach a receipt of the payment to your application. Please note that paying the processing fee as a bank transfer is only possible in this exceptional situation. If you apply online in Enter Finland, pay the processing fee in Enter Finland.
Once you have paid the processing fee, we will begin the processing of your application and book an appointment for you to prove your identity.
You cannot apply for the following permits in Enter Finland:
- residence permit on the grounds of Finnish origin
- residence permit on other grounds
- renewal of residence permit card
- travel documents
- Schengen visa
Your appointment is still valid
If you have booked an appointment at a service point, you can handle your matter as usual.
Things to remember before you visit a service point:
- Cancel your appointment if you have booked it for submitting a paper application but you could use the online service Enter Finland instead. We will book you a new appointment for proving your identity as soon as it is possible.
- Do not bring any additional documents directly to the service point. Instead, use the online service Enter Finland or send your documents by email or by post.
- Come to the service point shortly before your appointment is due to begin. Show your appointment confirmation to the security guard.
- If you have been abroad, wait for 14 days before visiting a service point. If you have an appointment before these 14 days have passed, cancel your appointment.
- Do not come to our service point if you have any flu symptoms at all. Remember to cancel your appointment if you cannot attend. Book a new appointment only when you are completely recovered.
- Our appointment system is open as usual. Avoid booking appointments at other service points than the one closest to you, even if there are available appointments at other service points.
Thank you for following these instructions and for helping us protect our customers and employees from potential infections!
Are you applying for an alien’s passport or a refugee travel document?
If you are applying for an alien’s passport or a refugee travel document, send an email to the address email@example.com.
You can pay the processing fee into the bank account of the Finnish Immigration Service: FI50 5000 0121 5029 82. Write your customer number and the name of the document you are applying for in the message field. Attach a receipt of the payment to your email. Please note that paying the processing fee as a bank transfer is only possible in this exceptional situation.
We will start processing your application after you have proved your identity. Because of the coronavirus situation, we will book you an appointment for proving your identity as soon as it is possible. You do not need to book the appointment yourself or worry about getting an appointment. Please make sure that the contact details you have given in your email are correct, especially your phone number and your email address.
- Asylum seeker: Requests for a certificate of the right to work cannot be submitted at Finnish Immigration Service service points until further notice
- Do you need a certificate of a pending application?
- You can get the certificate from Enter Finland.
- If you submitted your application by email, you will get the certificate by email.
- Are you going to send your application by post? Mention that you need a certificate of a pending application.
- Follow the updates at migri.fi/coronavirus. On that page, you will find updates about the effects of the coronavirus on our services and answers to frequently asked questions. We will inform of any changes without delay.
- If you cannot find answers to your questions at migri.fi/coronavirus or in any of our customer bulletins, you can call us:
- Submitting an application and matters to be dealt with a queue number: 0295 419 627
- Customer service (status enquiries and other general questions): 0295 419 600
- Unfortunately, our service numbers are very busy. Please call us only if your matter is urgent and if you cannot find the answer to your question on our website. This way, we can help as many customers as possible.
- For health advice and latest updates about the coronavirus in Finland, visit the website of the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL).