Skip to Content

Residence permit application on the basis of research completed in Finland

Apply for a residence permit on the basis of work with this application if you have come to Finland to do scientific research and you have finished your research. You must have a signed employment contract or a binding job offer.

  • Expected processing time for an electronic application

    2–4 months

  • Expected processing time for a paper application

    2–4 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit  380 € / extended permit 160 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 480 € / extended permit 430 €

Research completed in Finland

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised. The processing time may be longer if you have not filled in your application sufficiently.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the online service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application here. You can follow the processing of your application with the help of our chatbot Kamu. In addition, you will usually receive automated messages at the different processing stages of your application.


You should wait for the residence permit in the same country or locality where you submitted your application and proved your identity.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.

You must also meet the following requirements


You have finished your research work in Finland.

  • Even if you have finished your research several years ago and have left Finland since then, you may still apply for a residence permit on the basis of work as a person who has completed their research work in Finland. There are no time limits for submitting a residence permit application on the basis of work after finishing the research activity.
  • If your residence permit for research is still valid and you have found a job, you can apply for an extended permit on the basis of work.
  • The main purpose of your stay in Finland must be work.



You must have a signed employment contract or a binding job offer.

  • You must have confirmed employment before you may apply for a residence permit. If you have been offered work by an employer, the employer needs to confirm that you will really be hired. This is usually done in the form of an employment contract.
  • Your employment contract must comply with the collective agreement of the sector in which you are going to work. If there is no collective agreement in your sector, your employment contract must have the same the terms and conditions that, in the Finnish labour market, are applied to workers who have similar duties.

Income requirement 

You must have sufficient financial resources.

  • If you apply for a residence permit in order to work in Finland, you need to be able to support yourself in Finland with your salary throughout the time your residence permit is valid. 
  • When you apply for an extended permit, the Finnish Immigration Service will check how much you have been paid in salary during the validity of your previous residence permit.

Read more on the page Income requirement.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • certificate of doctoral degree if your research work involves writing a doctoral dissertation
  • confirmation by the research organisation of the completion of the research activity, if your research work does not involve writing a doctoral dissertation
  • employment contract or a binding job offer (principal terms of work)

Right to work

First residence permit: You cannot start working before you get a residence permit. Once you are granted a residence permit for work, you may work without restrictions.

Extended permit: If you apply for an extended permit before your residence permit for research expires, you may continue working or start a new employment already before your application for an extended permit has been decided. You may work without restrictions (for example full time) regardless of your field of study. If you receive a negative decision on your extended permit application, you are not allowed to continue working even if you appeal the decision.